Sunday, May 27, 2012

"Beef up your blog." - Dr. Martha

"I have been recommending your blog to friends (who are part time vegans/vegetarians, or just want to eat healthy/lose weight) but I need you to beef it up (pardon the pun). " - Dr. Martha Dommisse, M.D.

I consider that my first medical endorsement.  Since I probably won't get endorsed by Dr. Giggles or Dr. Feelgood, I'll consider myself lucky to be highly regarded by my 3rd favorite doctor.  Just in case you were wondering, my sister in law is rated higher in my mind than Dr. Huxtable and Dr. Zaius.  Although Zaius might move up the list if I find any more images like this on the internet.

I was thinking about doing a post about making smart choices if you do decide to have meat, especially since we had friends and neighbors over for a barbecue last night.  Getting the message from Martha helped seal the deal for the content of this post.  Good times were had by all and we had some rousing cornhole rounds after dinner.  We had pork chops and chicken on the grill, its the first time I have cooked meat since we started flexing.  I didn't want to force our new found healthiness on the party-goers with only vegetarian options but I also wanted them to know that we made healthy choices (other than alcohol) for them and all the kids in attendance.
I got all of our meat from Hanna Hands Farm, a local farm that raises chickens, pigs, goats, and rabbits.  You can check them out at http://www.localharvest.org/hanna-hands-farm-M42400.  No antibiotics or hormones, they are fed a diet based on the needs of the animals, not in hopes of growing a super huge animal for consumption.  The pork was very lean and flavorful.  The chicken was tender and juicy.  I had the chance to talk with the actual people that run the farm and it was a cool experience.  Of course it was more expensive but I was happy to share the experience and drop some knowledge on some friends about buying local and making sure you know what goes into your food.  Some of our friends didn't know we are flexitarian so it was fun to share that info with them.  I consider it a success if it might impact small decisions that people make for their family when they are at the supermarket.  Hopefully our conversations last night will have a positive impact on a meal or two for our friends in the upcoming weeks.
 Meatless Favorite of the Week  - Egg and Avocado Sandwich
2 pieces of toast, half an avocado, lettuce, tomato, pan fried egg, herbed cream cheese (cream cheese with fresh chopped chives, parsley, green onion, garlic, salt, and pepper)
Let the cream cheese sit out to get soft and then mix in the herbs and spices.  Start frying the egg, I cook mine in a nonstick pan with a little olive oil spray.  While the egg is cooking, toast up the bread and slice the lettuce and tomato to your desired thickness.  Scoop out half of an avocado and spread it on one piece of the toast.  Spread the cream cheese mix on the other piece of toast.  Put the egg, lettuce, and tomato into the sandwich and enjoy. 
 Remember to do what makes you happy.  I don't expect that most people can just flip a switch and go without meat.  Try your best, find new recipes, and enjoy life.  We can all make better choices in what we eat even if its just one meal a week where you make a conscious decision to eat local, fresh, organic, or vegetarian.
 Be good,
Otto 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment