Friday, September 28, 2012

Sweet Potato Fettuccine Review

Yesterday I posted a recipe for sweet potato fettuccine that I wanted to make for dinner.  Since you can get the recipe in my last post, I decided to let you know how it went down, highlight style.

1.  Peeled the potatoes and then sliced them up on my mandoline.  Easy.
2.  Had to cut the slices into uniform strips (about 1/4 in) so they would cook evenly.  Keeping them uniform was VERY HARD!
3.  Followed the recipe but added some sweet onions to the pan to saute a few minutes before I added the potato strips.
4.  Added some blue cheese to the gremolata.    Didn't have a lot, maybe 2 tablespoons.  Figured it would compliment the sweetness of the potatoes with some creamy, tangy, savoriness.
5.  After Will gave me a what the hell is this look and Ali complained about the toasted pecans, we ate it.  Pretty good but needed more salt.  The extra salt gave it a better balance of salt/sweet.
6.  I decided that, like many vegetarian recipes, it would be better off as a side dish. 
7.  Then I decided that it was way too much work to be a side dish.

If you like sweet potatoes, this is good.  The kids actually ate a fair amount but I did threaten no dessert when Ali complained about the nuts (she doesn't like the crunchy texture).  It had good, bright, fresh flavor and was filling.  Lots of fiber and plenty of vitamins.  Not sure it was worth the effort but you never know until you try.  Tonight is vegetarian chili!

Eat well!
Otto

No comments:

Post a Comment