Thursday, April 12, 2012

Accountability

Thanks to all who looked at the page and took the time to comment.  Got some good posts on my Facebook page too.

I am hoping to use this page in part for accountability.  I want to let you guys know about Flexing and share lots of recipes that I find that are easy and delicious.  I also want to keep up with what I eat and track my weight.  I think that I will use Thursdays as the day that I report on how the lifestyle is going, how I am feeling, what my weight is, etc.  So here goes:

I haven't eaten meat since a hamburger on Sunday night after we got home from traveling.  I feel pretty good and haven't had a craving for meat yet.  I'm not vegan and not opposed to using animal products so I have had butter, milk, cheese, and eggs.  Egg salad sandwiches and pimento cheese sandwiches have filled the lunch meat void admirably. 

Last night I made homemade broccoli, cauliflower, and cheese hot pockets which were good but not great.  Not nearly worth the effort.  And I won't post the recipe since I probably won't make it again.  Tonight is eggplant rollatini in tomato sauce with a salad and a side of spaghetti.  So far the kids are still interested in the food and I know the pasta will help.  If its good, I'll share it with you.

I weighed in at 186 after all the Easter candy, birthday cakes, and gluttony but was already down to 184.6 this morning.  I made it to the gym this morning as well for some treadmill running which is always fun.

Going to eat with some friends on Saturday night at their house and haven't informed them about te Flexing.  And I'm not going to either.  If the meal is built on meat, I will definitely eat it and enjoy myself.  Looking forward to it.  Check back tomorrow for an update on the rollatini and I'll also provide more information on the Flexing book I am reading if you are interested.

Be excellent to each other,
Otto

3 comments:

  1. Question: What are the health advantages of replacing meats with eggs, cheeses, and other heavy dairy products. Cheese and heavy dairy are fattier than most meats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Processed meats like hot dogs, bacon, salami, and cold cuts have been linked to cancer. Look at the ingredients on some sandwich meat. The kind of meat is usually the first ingredient followed by 10 different things with the word sodium in it and lots of nitrates. National Cancer Institute saw an increase in occurrence of cancer by 30% in people that ate 4 oz or more of processed meats every day. Nitrates and salt are also linked to high blood pressure and cardio vascular issues. My pimento cheese has about 1/3 of the salt content of a serving of lunch meat.

      Cheese can be fatty, depending on what kind of cheese, and you should look for cheese with low sat fat. Cheese does provide some fats which your body needs to absorb fat soluble vitamins and this diet is pretty low in fat so some fat with the cheese is great in moderation. Eating a brick of velveeta doesn't cut it.

      Eggs have all kinds of good stuff like selenium (antioxidant), choline (memory and muscle control), riboflavin (energy metabolism) and vitamin D.

      Should all your meals be heavy on cheese and eggs? Definitely not. As Beth reminded me, there are fat vegetarians. They need to be used in moderation.

      Does that answer your question?

      Delete
    2. Not really. At least for me, I wouldn't compare this diet as an exchange to one of heavily processed meats. I don't tend to eat them anyway, except for bacon. I was thinking more along the lines of chicken breasts (which are 99% fat free) lean cuts of beef, pork tenderloin, fish, etc. Maybe better asked.. Why is eating an all veggie/cheese diet better than a balanced meal with a lean meat as the centerpiece? Is this where the environmental aspect comes in?

      Delete