Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Your Last Meal

I am starting a blog about the fundamental principles and advantages of eating as a Flexitarian.  Its for people that want to have all the health benefits of a vegetarian diet but can't imagine a life completely void of meat.  Basically, you eat vegetarian meals most of the time but if you are out at a baseball game and want a hot dog, you eat it.  If you are at a bbq, you have a hamburger.  As someone who has made their own bacon and stuffed their own sausage, I am a huge fan of meat and can't imagine going totally without it.

I am still learning about it myself so I am hoping that the blog will grow as my knowledge and experience grows.  I want to use this blog to track my own weight and health.  I will try to post ideas and share recipes almost every day.  Tomorrow I would like to post some of the guidelines behind the diet for people that might be interested.

My question for you today: If you could only eat one more meal, what would it be?  I'm thinking mine would be a chicken fried steak smothered with sausage gravy with a side of crispy hash browns covered with cheese.  Much like the ideas behind Flexitarianism, its not something you would want to eat everyday if you want to be healthy or at an ideal weight.  Let me know what you would want for your last meal!

Otto

PS - Please pass this blog on to anyone you think might want to learn about eating healthier, finding new recipes, or anyone else you see fit.  Thanks.


6 comments:

  1. Bacon wrapped scallops as an appetizer paired with a Racer 5 IPA.
    An arugula or spinich salad with warm bacon dressing with a pinot noir.
    Penne pasta in a vodka sauce with fresh tomatoes, peas, pancetta and parmesean, topped with 3 turns of fresh ground pepper all teamed up with a Napa Meritage.
    For dessert papaya cream topped with Creme de Cassis.
    Finally... 3 fingers of 16 year Lagavulin single malt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good, except the scallops. I would have gone for 2 turns of pepper on the pasta but to each his own. It would be especially easy to take the pancetta out of the pasta and still have a great dish. I'm going to try cooking things like that to see if I really miss meat. Monday was a grilled eggplant and roasted red pepper sandwich topped with lettuce out of the garden and grilled vidalia onions with a greek mayo. Starter was garlic hummus with sliced peppers and carrots. Side of garlic couscous with chick peas, tomato, feta, and lemon juice. Beth commented that she could eat it twice a week and be happy. Yesterday was a tamale pie made with 3 beans, tomatoes, onions, pepper, mexican seasonings, cheese, and cilantro topped with a cornbread type mixture baked in a cast iron skillet. Sides were mexican rice and corn on the cob. 1 ear of corn was leftover, nothing else. Its been fun so far and it should help me lose the extra lbs from Ali and Will's birthday cakes and all the easter goodies. Might help Beth in her half marathon training as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. I have mentioned many times to Justin how I'd like us to be mostly vegetarian with some meat meals here and there. I just need good veggie recipes to get started. Keep this up and post recipes that turn out well!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I wish you very well in this endeavor, good sir, I will be amazed if you're able to do this on a regular basis. Again, hope it does it happen if it's something that you want, but Otto comes con carne in my book. Still, you're off to a good start with your descriptions above...so please, prove me wrong.
    Last meal:
    Give me Ottav's starter and salad, except I'll trade the IPA for a Ketel One dirty martini. Otherwise, he nailed it.
    Then bring on ravioli stuffed with lobster. Summer squash with buttercream, plus tomatoes and mozzarella w/ balsamic on the side. I'll take Ottav's Pinot Noir at this point.
    Cannoli for dessert, with the cream filling sweet enough to make your eyelids flap like a windowshade.
    B&B on the rocks afterwards, sipped very slowly since this is apparently the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last Meal-
    First Course-
    Bacon wrapped jalapenos filled with cream cheese and bacon
    Bacon wrapped shrimp
    Crab stuffed mushrooms
    Serrano Ham with various stinky cheeses.
    Entree
    Ribs- falling off the bone- smoked
    Sweet corn
    Bacon
    Dessert
    Scotch + Cigar

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lot of bacon. I would also suggest wrapping your ribs in bacon, your corn in bacon, and your cigar in bacon. If you are going out, it sounds like it will be in style. Sorry to hear you couldn't make it to the half this weekend, Beth was definitely bummed.

    Hope the new business is going well, it seems like something you believe in and your desire to succeed will definitely create the results you are looking for. Be good!

    ReplyDelete