Monday, April 16, 2012

Surviving the Weekend

We made it through the work week meat free!  If you are interested in trying one of the recipes we ate here it is:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/eggplant-rollatini-recipe2/index.html

I served it with a side of spaghetti to keep the kids interested.  Ali had seconds.  Will mostly ate the cheese mixture out of his and left the eggplant alone.  In his defense, the eggplant was a little undercooked, if you make this recipe definitely give the eggplant some more time when you cook it so it softens up.

We were invited over to eat with some friends Saturday night.  We worked in the yard pretty much all day and we were famished.  I had not told Josh and Julie that we were flexing, that is the beauty of it.  You don't make friends cook something just for you, you eat what they make.  You don't sit on the sidelines eating an empty bun with a side of sad face.  Julie made a delicious chicken dish served over rice.  We definitely didn't go over board on the food.  Fresh tomato and cucumber salad.  Strawberries they had picked earlier in the day at Cottle Farms (yes it has been warm enough for strawberries) served with some ice cream.  Good food and good friends helped us survive the weekend.

So I'm feeling good, the kids haven't complained, and hopefully Beth's craving for hot dogs has passed.  Tomorrow I am going to write a little for Ottaviano who still wants answers on why I'm avoiding meat.  I'll outline the health implications for him and anyone else interested.

I'm smarter for having taught your son, he's raised some issues this year that I've never dealt with.  But its not always in a bad way, I've just always got to be on my toes.
- Mrs. Dottie, Will's preschool teacher who has been teaching for 20 years

2 comments:

  1. I love eggplant and will have to try that. I probably do eat far too much meat, I think it's a good idea to cut back, although hotdogs wouldn't be my weak spot, it would be steak. As long as I didn't have to give up cheese, I could go without meat for awhile. Interesting blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I know one things about my sister- her craving for hotdogs will always get the best of her

    ReplyDelete